Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Unquestionable Grace of God

So I must confess that sometime I am a sorry example of "calm under pressure". Today I was in a huge hurry and running around the city trying to get things done so I could get home and help as we have a short term team from the United States. As I left the store I loaded the car and headed to the other side of town to buy some charcoal for our BBQ.

When I arrived on the other side of town I realized that my wallet was missing. I immediately realized that I had left it in the shopping cart. As you can imagine my heart sank. Here in Mozambique if you do such a stupid thing, you can know for sure 100% of the time that you will never see it again. To make matters worse my wallet was full of cash for the team, drivers license and credit cards etc... I was sick to my stomach and horribly distraught as I called Lynne. I told her what happened and asked her to pray as I was headed back toward the store about 20 minutes away. She and Andrew began to pray and ask God for a miracle in light of the realities of where we live.

I no sooner hung up with her and my phone rang. I didn't recognize the number but answered it anyway. A voice on the other end said in English, "Are you Rodger Schmidt?' Yes, "I said" with a bit of hesitation. He went on to tell me that he had found my wallet in the parking lot and would wait until I got there to return it to me.

I hung up the phone, my heart still pounding, stomach churning and I am oh so amazed at our Gods amazing, unquestionable grace. In my rushing, stupidity and forgetfulness, God saw fit to demonstrate his goodness and power in the midst of certain loss. I have been praying ever since that God would use this experience in my life to make me a better version of myself and out of his clear provision and goodness long to follow him closer, trust him more faithfully and seek to demonstrate that kind of Grace to the people I come in contact to every day. I'm still shaking in my boots and a bit queasy but oh so amazed at a God who loves me enough to show me the best and worst of what this world has to offer.

To the German born tourist I will never be able to pronounce your name and most likely will never see you again, God bless you and I hope you enjoyed your special dinner out with your children on us. My prayer for you this day that you too will see God's amazing and unquestionable grace in your life.

3 comments:

Mozi Esme said...

That is so amazing! You don't hear many stories like that here in Mozambique - I'm most often bemoaning how hard it is to find honest workers who don't steal - even the best and brightest of them seem to feel entitled.

Brad said...

Hey Rodger--
Good story of God's grace. I know you have opportunities to trust God's grace everyday, butthis was a good reminder of it.
I'm praying for you...and those chickens.
God bless you.
Brad Franklin

PJimison said...

How cool is that! :-)
I remember a friend who drove 28 miles with her wallet on the roof of her car. When we arrived to the destination, it was still there. She drove 65 mph on the freeway with it perched on top!
God can do anything. He's caring for your team coming! Thanks for sharing your happy ending!