Saturday, February 7, 2009

Discipleship

We started discipleship classes 2 weeks ago in our 2 locations. The interns are teaching the classes and doing a great job. The books are simple and understandable. Last week, our lesson was on "New Birth". The verse we memorized together was John 1:12.

The discussion around "believing and receiving" Jesus went like this:

Artur: "Who here has received Jesus as Savior?"

The class: no hands up except those of our interns and my own. Dead silence

Artur: "It's a simple question; who here has received Jesus?"

The class: 2 tentative hands go up

Arture: "Katia, how do you know you have received Jesus?"

Katia: "Because I have done what the verse said, I believe in Him and I received Him and now I am his child."

Artur: "Manuel, how do you know you have received Jesus"?

Manuel: ""Because I prayed to receive Jesus and invited Him to be my Lord."

Artur: "Mama Ana, have you received Jesus?"

Mama Ana: "NO"

Artur: "Rita, have you received Jesus?"

Rita: (giggling) "No".

Artur: "Have you received Jesus?"

Fabiao:(eyes downcast): "No"

Artur: "Why have you not received Jesus as your Saviour?"

Mama Ana: "Because we don't understand it all yet."

It was that bold; that direct and a really painful interaction for my "oh so non-confrontational" ears to hear. It brought tears to my eyes to hear two twenty-something young people verbalize their faith and to know that, as we continue on, the others WILL understand and come to faith.

Thanks for sending the Schmidt's to Mozambique. The work we are all doing together IS so very important and life-changing.

No comments: