Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What Does Water have to Do with Leadership

Our interns at MozOvos in their Uniforms

What Does Water have to do with LEADERSHIP?

One of the ongoing challenges of living in Africa is the sometimes lack of water.  At our house we have three huge reserve tanks to ensure that we always have the water we need.  However, recently there hasn't been enough water coming into the property to fill the tanks.  This has resulted in a massive water shortage.  As you can imagine, with the 4 Schmidts and 8 interns, the need for water can become desperate.  This last Sunday, we had so little water, I was not able to shower and couldn't shower all day.  I'm sure I offended many during the day with my lack of cleanliness.

Earlier that day, I reminded our interns to conserve water and proceeded to question them as to their current water conservation practices.  After a brief conversation, I came to learn that not only were they not keeping to our five minute shower rule, but they were taking two to three showers a day.   One intern even confessed that normally this would not be the case.  But since we have HOT water, they have been enjoying and lavishing themselves with the pleasures of all the water available, depriving the Schmidts of precious water to bathe even once a day, flush toilets, do dishes, wash clothes, as our part of the house had become completely void of even one single drop.

As you can imagine my initial response was to scold, discipline, and rip out the hot water tanks.   however, and thankfully, the Lord gave me a different idea.

I sat down with all the guys and began questioning them about the leadership and relationship norms here in Mozambique.   They clearly and honestly stated that their African leaders are typically autocratic, somewhat dictatorial and someone to be feared.   Typically people follow out of fear.  If not obeyed an individual could lose their job, relationship, place to live, other resources, reputation or worse.   Honestly, followers obey because they don't have a choice, not because they desire to do so.

The type of leadership we have tried to model with our interns is that of "coming along side", not to force people to follow, but to model, influence, mentor and lead through relationship.   As we were talking about this, I began to share with the guys the dangers of leading this way.  The biggest danger is that the "followers" are not obligated to follow, listen or offer respect.  They are FREE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE LEADER.  This is a huge risk.  The upside to this type of leadership style is that it liberates the followers to choose.   They can freely choose to not take advantage, but to offer sincere respect, deepen the relationship and respond not out of obligation or fear but out of a genuine will to do so.

I made the connection with the interns by using our current water shortage situation.   I confessed to them that I had felt taken advantage of and used.  I also shared with them that It would be very easy for me to write a huge list of rules, post them on the wall and stand at the bathroom door dragging guys kicking and screaming out of the shower if they exceeded their time limit and/or took more than one shower a day.    I could even rip out the hot water tank to insure that no one had hot water and my leadership would be followed to the letter of the law. I am more than capable of doing this.   I am a big guy!  They guys lovingly call me Gorilla man.

However, I told them that I wouldn't do that.   I wanted them to be free to choose what kind of FOLLOWER they would be.  I wanted them to see that they did not need to respond out of fear of punishment or loss of relationship.   They needed to know that it was possible to respond out of a sincere desire to show respect and love, not only toward me as a leader and my family, but for our life together in community.

I also challenged them to choose what kind of LEADER they wanted to be.   The decisions they make today regarding their water usage, will demonstrate what they believe about leadership and relationship.  It will also determine  what kind of leader they will be today and in the future.

This was an amazing experience.   I am so thankful for the opportunity to live with these guys.  They have been an invaluable addition to our family, life and ministry.   I must confess, I came Africa five years ago with the intention of having lasting impact and influence on the people of Mozambique.   I am increasingly being convinced that God sent me to Mozambique so the African people could teach and influence me.




4 comments:

Lynn's Life Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynn's Life Blog said...

Lynnette & Jim said...
Hey there Gorilla Man, Yeah for you to show great love, mercy and compassion on your interns. What a great example your words and patience are to those young interns. Truly a man after God's own heart. Keep up the great example. It is an inspiration to those of us who must constantly struggle with being slow to speak, and slow to anger. You are a example to us here in the states.

jeff said...

Hey, Rodger, I like the Gorilla Man moniker - I may shorten it to Gman! Your capturing the teaching moment with the interns reminded me of Dt 6:6-9. I trust they too will see opportunities to speak to others about God in the comings and goings of life! - Jeff Denlinger

Unknown said...

Your example of leading and following also has such great application to marriage relationships!